Richard Lippold

Year inducted: 2009
1915-2002

Richard Lippold, a Milwaukee born sculptor, created open-aired constructions made from steel, aluminum, wire and plaster. Using an engineering and design background, his constructions were among the first in American sculpture to use polished, industrial materials. These constructions harnessed a kinetic quality by incorporating the space and light of the areas they occupy. As a contemporary of the first-generation postwar New York School of artists, his work shares the sensibilities of that era, emphasizing a dynamic break with traditional artist images and methodologies. Richard was born in Milwaukee, graduated in 1937 from the Chicago Institute of Art, and initially worked as an industrial designer until 1941. He taught at Goddard College (VT), Trenton State College (NJ), and at Queens and Hunter College in New York City. His first one-man show, in 1947, was at the Willard Gallery in New York. As a working artist, examples of his international success are exemplified with commissioned work in Saudi Arabia, Japan, and Korea as well as exhibiting at the Venice Biennale in 1988. The Metropolitan Museum of Art and Whitney Museum of Art both hold his work.

Works by Richard Lippold